Monday, October 12, 2009

Fall in Savannah

Fall in Savannah, GA is a little bit different than Fall in New England.  The leaves aren't falling yet, haven't even changed color.  Usually the leaves drop off as they're pushed off by new leaves.  Many of our trees are evergreen, the oaks, magnolias, palms and swamp bays.
But it is Fall, the weather is a little cooler, only in the lower 80's instead of the lower 90's ( that was last week).  This week I'm optimistic that our lows may even drop to the 60's instead of the 70's.
Fall means I can work  in my garden again without melting into a puddle of human ooze.  I planted bulbs today to replace the 1,000 plants that rotted this year from too much rain.  I put in 20 Spanish Bluebells and 25 Anemones of various colors.  I'm using a new gardening book titled "Garden Perennials for the Coastal South" and I'm hopeful that I will pick better plants for my garden.  Walmart will sell you any ol' d**n thing whether it will grow here  it or not and I'm tired of throwing my money away on things that were never meant to grow here, like tulips!
Mac has been busy digging manure (and complaining that it's so Yuppified that it doesn't even smell like manure) into his garden so he can plant his Fava Beans.  He's had to dig up some of his Zinnias and he hates to dig flowers up, he's a softy. 
We bought a pumpkin to put in our front yard Fall display along with the Scarecrow and Chyrsanthemums , when we get closer to Halloween Mac will carve it, he's getting really good at doing that.  He says I ought to make a pumpkin pie out of it, HA, HA, HA.  I  like Halloween, or to be completely honest, I like all the candy associated with Halloween.  We don't have a lot of kids in our neighborhood, most of them are older, and what we usually do is put a bowl of candy on the steps out front and let them help themselves.  Would you believe the bowl is nearly always still full of candy at the end of the
 night, lots of chocolate candy of course.
And Fall means football season, SIGH!  The Raiders lost 44 to 7 yesterday, but it wasn't really that close.  Oh well, next year-----somebody please buy my team and make it a real team again.



















No comments:

Post a Comment

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...