Saturday, March 6, 2010

I Knew It!


I knew it, it's not my fault that I'm overweight, it's those pesky bacterium living in my intestines.  Their insatiable need for "food" drives me to eat more than I need.
Gut bacteria have been linked to asthma, cancer and other autoimmune diseases and now scientists are suggesting that they may be linked to obesity.    They believe that the reason people are eating too much might  not be simply because unhealthy food is cheap and available, but rather that it's the bacteria living in our intestines that cause it. 
Now I've always known that humans harbor bacteria, both internally and externally, but I didn't realize to what extent.  I just read that the human body has 10 times more bacteria than human cells with 50 trillion microbes living in the average digestive tract alone.  
And basically what the scientists are saying is that when there is a change in our bacteria it may lead to obesity.  They transplanted bacteria from obese mice to slim mice and the slim mice began eating more and became obese.  Should we get rid of our bacteria, of course not, we need each other.  One scientist was quoted as saying, "...we're not so much individual organisms as symbiotic human-bacteria collecitves", now there's a thought.
So what are you going to do?  Well at my age I'm just going to relax and enjoy myself. Mac said he knew all along that it was an inside job!

No comments:

Post a Comment

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...