Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Movie Review, Sort Of...

We watched Toy Story 3 last night, and not having seen the first two in the series we had only a vague idea of what to expect.  Well it was wonderful, smart, sweet, funny, everything you want in a movie, just goes to show you can make a wonderful "G" rated movie if you try. We laughed often and  my head was "leaking" at the end and for some reason my nose was running so I kept sniffing.
There were many touching moments in the film, but one that really hit me is when the Mom puts her arms around her son who is going off to college, and says she wishes she could go with him, you could tell that it has finally hit her that he's going away and things will never be the same.
I remember when our daughter left for college, we were living in Izmir, Turkey and she was going to be attending the University of Georgia.  We drove her to the airport in Izmir and had to leave her at the curb,  because of Turkish security no one was allowed in the terminal without a ticket.
Leaving the airport Mac and I both cried, it was probably the hardest thing we'd ever done. It was horrible, she was just 17, our baby, our only child and she was flying half-way around the world on her own.  But more than saying good-bye to her, we were saying good-bye to her childhood, she was an adult now and we knew that when she came home again it would be as a visitor and that is one of the saddest things a parent has to come to terms with.  To her I'm sure she saw it all as a wonderful adventure, the next step in her life, but to us it marked the end of her childhood, she wasn't our little girl any more, now she was an adult, and though I've often said I enjoyed every age our daughter was, but that adulthood was the best, I must confess there are times when I miss the little girl who played with horses, wrote pencil stories and thought her Dad could do anything.
So to finish my sort of review I'd say that Toy Story 3 was about childhood's end and I definitely connected with it, sad and beautiful.  I'd highly  recommend the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...