Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Living in the Wilds

We have an empty lot next door to us and as we stepped out for our morning walk today we noticed Turkey Vultures sunning themselves in the trees.  They have quite a wingspan, and at times we've seen them sunning themselves on our roof which I find very disturbing, I mean after all they're carrion eaters and I worry about what they're waiting for.  A group of turkey vultures is known as a venue, a committee or a wake.  Considering what they eat I think a wake of vultures is the most fitting name.
We continued our walk down to the bridge that crosses over the lagoon and I spotted something across the water.  Mac has much better eyesight than I do so I asked him what it might be, but he felt that it was just a stump.  But as we crossed the bridge and got a closer look we realized that it was an alligator that had crawled out of the water to sun bathe.  He doesn't look very big in the picture, but in person he appeared to be some where between 4 and 5 feet  in length and fairly hefty.  He didn't appear to be the least bit bothered by us standing on the bridge  talking about him, he rolled his eyes, gave us a rather bored look  and returned to his sun bathing.
Sometimes our morning walks are rather like a trip to the zoo.

4 comments:

  1. Seeing vultures and alligators when out walking makes the eagles and dolphins we occasionally see, seem rather tame by comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Annie, I'm chuffed if I see a woodpecker, can't imagine what it would be like to see alligators.

    SP

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm rather glad that I don't come across alligators when I'm out walking! Turkey vultures are OK - they do a great job of cleansing so the are 'A Good Thing' as Martha would say:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just went on our walk to Arabia Mountain and we must have seen 30 or so turkey vultures circling overhead...now I know I should call them a "wake" of vultures. Like you, I think a "wake" sounds about right.
    Luckily, we don't have to worry about aligators on our walk!

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...