Tuesday, April 10, 2012

National Gallery

National Gallery
Being disappointed in the American History museum we walked to the National Gallery of Art.  April, who loves all things Japanese, wanted to see an exhibit of Japanese oil paintings done on silk scrolls.  The exhibit is called The Colorful Realm: Japanese-Bird-Flower- paintings by Ito Jakuchu (1716-1800) and was only running till the end of the month, so even though Asian art is not one of my favorite things, we went in search of it.  And oh am I ever glad we did!  it was wonderful, not it was beyond wonderful, it was awe inspiring!
Laying his mineral and vegetable created paints he achieved a depth of color that was surreal.  I could have spent the whole day there looking at them.  Maybe I need to look at little more Japanese art before deciding it's not for me.









These are just a few of the incredible paintings.

















2 comments:

  1. Looks a wonderful exhibition - I'm with your daughter I love Japanese art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This exhibit really was a surprise to me.

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...