Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Secret Keeper

I have been a fan of Kate Morton since reading her first book.  I loved them all---The House at Riverton, The Distant Hours  and The Secret Garden.  When Amazon notified me that she had a new one coming out on October 16 I pre-ordered it and couldn't wait for it to get here.
I read it in 2 days, all 496  pages of it and I have to say that I liked it, but I didn't love it like I did her earlier books.  Not sure why, perhaps it was the two main characters telling the story, Dorothy (Dolly) and her daughter Laurel.  I didn't like either one of them.  By the end I had figured things out and it explained one of the mysteries that had been  bothering me, do people change?
The story begin when Dorothy is very old lady waiting to die and her daughter Laurel who is struggling with the memory of having seen her mother kill a man years ago.     At 16 all she wanted to do was to protect her mother, now she wants, before it's too late, to know the real reason her mother had  killed the man.

The rest of the story is done in flashbacks, beginning when Dorothy was a rebellious teenager in the 30's and the events that changed her life.
If you liked her earlier books you'll probably like this one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...