Tuesday, November 27, 2012

There and Back Again

Christmas tree at the Smithsonian Castle
No, though very short, I'm not a Hobbit.  We went to see our daughter near Washington D.C. (there) for Thanksgiving and now we're back again.  As always it was good to see her.  I know I drove her crazy cooking in her kitchen--that's a territory that we consider very personal space and we know where everything is in it, and it's hard to have others rooting around in it.
But Thanksgiving dinner was delicious, she did most of the cooking, I just did the lamb and salad.
We don't do Black Friday but rather we went into D.C. to visit the Smithsonian museums.  There's a great exhibit on Food at the American History Museum and the best part of it was Julia Child's kitchen.  I've been fascinated by her ever since we saw the movie Julie and Julia, and then my daughter gave me her biography Dearie for my birthday.  What an interesting life she led.  We loved her kitchen and all her cooking paraphernalia.
At the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, which we usually give a miss because none of us are modern art fans, we saw a fantastic exhibit of the Chinese Zodiac.  Sculpted by Ai Weiwei (he collaborated on the design for the National Stadium for  the 2008 Beijing Olympics).  There are 12 sculptures, each  10 feet high, they were incredible.
We finished the day at the Elephant and Crown a pseudo English pub.

Great trip, but as always glad to get home, can't wait for her to come for Christmas.

4 comments:

  1. I've never been to DC but would love to go someday - mostly for the museums, I have to confess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The museums are incredible, always something new to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to visit the Smithsonian museums. I used to get Smithsonian magazine and they often had articles about things connected with the museums. Maybe one day....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to Washington, DC!
    Would LOVE to see the Smithsonian.
    And I LOVED the Julia Child movie, although, it had to much of the blogger Julie in it for me, I just wanted Julia Child and her wonderful husband! Wasn't that actor GREAT who played her hubby and didn't you just love Meryl Streep as Julia? FANTASTIC woman, Julia Child, just so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...