Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Midsummer Heat

I know it's July, I know it's the middle of summer, I know it's supposed to be hot and I know it's actually been cooler than normal, but oh my Lord it's  hot and humid today.  Too hot to crochet, too hot to walk, but we did it anyway, too hot to exercise, yet I'm sitting here sweating like a piglet after doing it, too hot to garden, too hot to think, not that I do much of that in the summer anyway.  If I were a cat I'd just stretch out somewhere, but I'm human with a little too much conscious so I try to find things to do to make me feel less guilty when I lay around.
Our electric bill wasn't too bad last month because we were gone for a week and the cat doesn't know how to turn on the air conditioner.  But we've been home this month and running it a lot, both because our daughter was here and because I'm tired of melting.
With an all electric house we try to be careful, there are ceiling fans in nearly every room, we also have floor fans and a portable air conditioner (they're cheaper to run than the whole house one) for our bedroom.  I don't walk into a room without turning a fan on, but I don't turn lights on till after dark.  I don't use my dishwasher (it's easier to wash dishes for 2 people than to wait for the dishwasher to fill up) and I don't use my dryer, I hang clothes outside.  So I'm careful, but I know, without a doubt that this month's electric bill is going to be a doozy.

1 comment:

  1. July is, for sure, a month to endure rather than enjoy, most anywhere I've ever lived. We don't turn the A/C down to the frigid levels one encounters in restaurants and stores [what are they thinking of?] but we are glad we can keep the house cool enough to serve as a retreat from the outdoors.

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...