Tuesday, June 24, 2014

I Think It's Tuesday

Street near our airport
Rain here yesterday, in fact, the rainiest day in Savannah's history.  The airport got 6.65 inches of rain, most of it in about an hour.  Some places got none, we got about a quarter of an inch, but enough of a storm to knock out our satellite until this morning.
So what did we watch with no tv?  We watched a video,
we've been slowing working our way through the Sherlock series.  Slowly because it's so good and every few minutes we have to stop the CD and discuss what's going on.  Hope we don't have to wait 2 years for the next series.
The night before that we watched RocknRolla, one of Guy  Richie's films. laugh out loud funny, he has a real ear for dialogue.  Tom Wilkinson playing a bad guy was hilarious.
   We've loved all 3 of his London gangster movies (Lock, Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels and Snatch)
And of course I've been reading. I finished  Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and absolutely loved it, guess I'll have to go looking for his 100 Years of Solitude.
I also finished The Village School by Miss Read, as a retired teacher I always enjoy reading school stories.  I'm almost finished with As I Lay Dying by
William Faulkner, what an eerie little book.  It's told from probably a dozen points of view including that of the woman who died.  Faulkner located most of  his stories in the imaginary county of Yoknapatawpha, Mississppi and the dialect of the speakers is about as deep southern as you can get.  But I certainly heard echoes of my Oklahoma relatives in that dialect, maybe it's the dialect  of the poor, not just the southern.  I  read recently that a movie had been made from this book, but what a depressing story it is, I can't imagine wanting to see a movie of it.  Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the book, think it's incredible, but not something I'd want to see as a movie.
It was under 90º today so I made it out to the garden and pulled a couple million weeds, that only leaves a few million more to go.  We've been eating lettuce from the garden this week, romaine and butter.  Last week we ate the first of our potatoes, I think they were Yukon Gold, really good tasting.
Cut out a simple blouse to sew, just wish it were not so hot upstairs, even with the air conditioning on.
Have to hitch up the horses and head into town tomorrow, good Lord willing and the creek don't rise---whoops, no more Faulkner for me for a while.

5 comments:

  1. I cannot imagine "As I Lay Dying" on the big screen either. And It's certainly not "camp."
    Weed sympathy here; they're ubiquitous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you managed to get into town today. You've been reading a variety of books. I like the Miss Read series for a light but interesting read and then I pass them on to my daughter. She's a teacher in a small infant school - the same one I taught in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh that's a lot of rain! It gets the weeds growing quicker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had the Miss Read books recommended to me, they sound like something I'd enjoy, I'll definitely have to look out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love some Faulkner; I don't love some Faulkner. But I always appreciate the imagery and the language!

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...