Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The Long and the Short of It

Do you like long books, short books, short stories, series, novellas, what?  My own preference is for long books.  I'm currently reading The Last Lion by William Manchester, his biography of Winston Churchill and it runs 992 pages.  Even better it's the first of of a trilogy.  I love to read series.  If I like a book I hate it to end.  Of course I hate waiting for the next in a series to come out---do you hear me George R. R. Martin, don't do a Robert Jordan and die on me before you finish The Game of Thrones.
Some short books are fun Ella, Minnow, Pea (Mark Dunn) at  pages 208 pages  and The Uncommon Reader (Alan Bennett) at 120 pages and I will read them after reading a long book, but they're never my first choice.  I'll probably read Troll's Eye View: A Book of Villain Tales (edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling) at 208 pages before tackling the next in the Churchill biography.
And then I need to get going again on the long series I'm reading by S.M. Stirling, the Change series has 11 books in it so far and I'm on number 7, The High King of Montival.  Not great literature, but fun.
So what's your preference?

Jane Austen
“but for my own part, if a book is well written, I always find it too short.” 
 Jane Austen

2 comments:

  1. Right now I would love to have time to read a book of any length! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit, I have a fondness for books that are shorter.
    I blame this on reading the REader's Digest condensed books when I was a kid...when I went back and read the books in their entirety, I really enjoyed the condensed version better.
    Sometimes, I think authors could use some editing...J.K. Rowling, do you read this blog? HA!

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...