Thursday, August 31, 2017

Thursday Thoughts

Bet you thought I was still stuck in the DMV waiting to renew my driver's license.  Well when we walked in there Tuesday morning, saw that every seat in the place, and there were a lot of seats, were filled and that people were lining up along the wall I figured we were there for the long haul.
Imagine my surprise that we were out of there in about 30 minutes.  They had a great system.  You start at a bank of computers and fill in all your information, get in a short line, I was second, give your name and go sit down.  In a few minutes you're called, asked what you're there for and given a number.  You sit back down and less than 5 minutes later you're called to a window, turn in your old license, get your picture taken, take the vision test and pay your money ($32.00---ouch).  You are then handed a temporary license, your new one comes in the mail and is good for 8 years.  About the vision test, I've told you about my weird eyes before, well you had to read a line of numbers.  My always strange eyes could only read them backwards, right to left.  The clerk said that was ok, weird, but ok.
So we're set for 8 years.  I figure I'll be through with driving by then.
After that it was grocery shopping and home.
Yesterday was spent mowing the lawn and cleaning the pool.
Today we had to run into town and then go to breakfast.
Going to be 90º today, a last hurrah for summer I hope.  Yesterday the pool was freezing, I guess all the rain we've had cooled it off.



14 comments:

  1. Our licenses renew every five years, and can take fifteen or twenty minutes to complete. I have nothing to do and all day to do it now, so what the heck,

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have that same system here in Idaho and I was surprised at how quick we got thru. I was used to the DMV's back east where they give you a voucher to come in the next day so you don't lose your place after waiting for hours on end. Geesh.. I thought we were done with Summer here too but nope. All week temps near 100 or over. I am so ready for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive, I really did think it would be an all day job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pleased all went well, and that you are all ok for another eight years.

    Can't believe it's the last day of August today!
    Slightly early I know but good wishes for September!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it wonderful when a place is well organised? It makes such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a nice surprise. I hate waiting in lines, although it's better now that we have phones to entertain ourselves with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ours are every five years according to your birth year. Good that you got it taken care of so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great your license is done!! Here is California we are getting roasted. Tomorrow temperature will be 112.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you weren't waiting too long for your licenses, a lot cooler here today:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My renewals are done by post, thank goodness. I still have several years to go but will probably have given up driving by then.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad the system meant you got your licence without too much waiting. Here in the UK it's beginning to feel like Autumn, a season I like and don't mind the cooler weather. Coming back to look at your blog I admire your header painting - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now, that is very strange, only able to read the opticians chart right to left. Sure you don't have Hebrew or Arabic blood you weren't aware of? Glad you have your license now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If I have the time, I actually like to go to the DMV; great place to watch people :) Glad your renewals went relatively smoothly. Here in Arizona when you get your license it is basically good until you are 65 years old. Every 12 years you have to go in to get a new picture (and I'm not sure if there is a charge for that or not). After 65 you have to go more often for vision tests. I think it was $31 when I got it when we moved here back in 2015. I always wonder why licenses don't expire more frequently. It is a great source of income for the state, especially if some of the renewals can be done online. Here you can register your car for 1 year, 2 years or 5 years, the cost goes down significantly if you register it for 5 years. The downside if you no longer have the car, you don't get a refund of any fees paid. We just renew for 1 year increments.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do believe DMVs all over have improved their service after having such a bad reputation for so long. My last job in South Carolina required that I register all the company trucks...I was a frequent visitor at the DMV back then. That would have been a great time to have a smart phone or eReader, but they didn't exist then.

    ReplyDelete

                               GODZILLA KING OF THE MONSTERS Anyone who blogged with Janet knew she was a huge livelong fan of ...